Monday, January 30, 2012

Xbox 360 controller mod: rapid fire

With my newly fixed controller I decided to take it a step further and try out a mod. The rapid fire mod is used mostly for CoD and allows a semi-auto weapon to be fired at the rate of a fully automatic weapon.

The mod itself is simple. You need a button, some wire, a solder iron, a drill, and steady hands.



Looking at the board, we will be soldering two points. The point on the left is where we get will get power to our button. The point is where the vibrating component connects and is the one furthest right. Because this is the vibrators power, we can only use the button when the controller vibrates. However this won't be an issue because the controller will vibrate everytime we shoot.

The second point is for the right trigger button. There are 3 points in a row, I want the middle one.


Now that we know where our wires will be going, we need to find a location for our button. I chose to put it on the lower right handle portion of the controller. This made sense because there is a lot of room and it is going to be near our solder points. Since I chose this location however, I cannot have both vibrators in. I kept the smaller one because it vibrates the most. When choosing a location I kept the board in so I know everything will fit at the end.
To make the hole for the button I drilled a hole in the appropriate location. My button came with a nut and washers so it mounted easily to my case.




The next step was to solder the two wires to my button. I kept the wires a little long so they are easier to work with. After that I mounted the button to my case and put the board in to begin soldering.


I cut the wires small so that they didn't get in the way of the other components of the controller. When soldering to the controller be very careful. If you are careless you can ruin the controller. With the solders done and the button attached I can begin putting the controller back together.

Putting the controller together after the mod is really frustrating. The button will fit but you have to force it in. I had to remove some of the internal parts of the case to allow room for the button. After everything was done the controller worked great. Fully functional and the mod was a success.

3 comments: